Is it any surprise that fruits are one of the group of foods that promote weight loss? Mother Nature has blessed us with an abundance of these fabulous juicy, tasty, healthy foods that greatly benefit our bodies. Fruits are packed with nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and fiber – everything you need to stay healthy and lose fat. Many of us, especially kids, would shun the sight of vegetables set on the table; but if we see delectable fruits all laid out, then we just cannot resist them!
There’s a huge range of fruits available these days, in various shapes, sizes and colors that make your mouth water just by looking at them. Each bite of a tasty fruit can give you enough vitamins and minerals to give your body and energy supply a healthy boost.
No matter how fruits are served, each has its own repertoire of vitamins and minerals that will surely benefit your body. Here are six favorites:
1. Peaches are rich in Vitamin A which is perfect for cell reproduction, growth and development of our bones and teeth, and maintaining healthy skin and hair.
2. Avocados. Often served as a salad ingredient, one avocado contains nutrients such as vitamin K, dietary fiber, potassium, folic acid, vitamin B6, vitamin C and copper.
3. Apples. Every bite of this luscious fruit contains folic acid which is vital for proper cell growth and development of embryos.
4. Oranges contain a healthy dose of Vitamin C, which is an important anti-oxidant, reducing the development of harmful diseases, like cancer.
5. Banana. This golden fruit is a great source of the potassium that our body needs to balance water, cells and other body fluids.
6. Grapes. Considered as the fruit of the gods according to Greek mythology, grapes are highly nutritious. They contain compounds that fight diseases; among these are anthocyanins and proanthocyanidins. These two substances are known to show cancer preventive properties, and can detoxify some cancer causing substances.
Healthy eating and weight loss:
There are many ways to enjoy the taste of fruits without destroying their precious nutrients. Many can be eaten raw, skin and all, while some need to be peeled, especially if their skin is tough and bitter. A great way to enjoy them is as a fresh juice – a juicer is a recommended investment!
To get the greatest benefit from your fruits, whether you are eating whole fruits or juicing, make sure your fruit is ripe. It sounds obvious, but when fully ripe fruit is in it’s optimum state for you to digest and be absorbed rapidly into your body. The less ripe it is, the harder and slower it becomes to digest. Eat fruit on an empty stomach, preferably 30 minutes before you eat anything else, and you will have completely digested the fruit before other foods interfere with the process. If you are juicing, the fruit will be digested even more quickly.
Why not breakfast on fresh fruit? It is quick and easy to digest and because it is so rapidly absorbed you will soon feel the energy-boosting benefits. It’s healthy too – start your day with foods that promote weight loss.
Peter FJ Ford has no medical or nutritional background. He became interested in weight loss after being given a book some years ago about the raw food diet. He was surprised and intrigued to find he lost weight simply by changing what he ate!